Spork Boards

Swiffies for...

johnny k – December 27, 2007 09:31AM Reply Quote
Let's balance out every milkshake with a swiffie. Everyone else on the internet only complains.

-

So I bitched about AT&T DSL and it's only fair that I throw them a bone when deserved. In the process of transferring service to my roommate (fairly straightforward), I asked that a 411 charge be removed from my bill because we only have the landline to get DSL, and there's not even a phone hooked up. They credited my account without a question.

btw, why do all these phone trees ask for your account number before they direct you, and then when you're talking to a person, they just ask for it again? I was transferred twice, and I had to give the number 4 times.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2007 09:46AM by johnny k.

ARL (Moderator) – April 05, 2011 02:12PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
And the good thing is most people with firefox will upgrade.

tliet – April 05, 2011 06:28PM Reply Quote
Yeah, Check for Updates will yield the 4.0 message, I suppose Mozilla will flip the switch in a month or two, auto-updating every Firefox 3.6 user on the planet.

ddt – April 06, 2011 07:29AM Reply Quote
Just heard a sponsorship spot from Mozilla/Firefox on our local NPR radio station (which is the largest in the States, and covers Silicon Valley).

ddt

tliet – June 19, 2011 08:43AM Reply Quote
The makers of PLEX. Just jailbroke my AppleTV 2 and put the PLEX client on it. This is a seriously polished piece of software.

John Willoughby – June 28, 2011 02:00PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Well, I HAD to post this on this thread.

ARL (Moderator) – June 28, 2011 03:18PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Hmmm. That's actually not evil™.

Yay. Now we can be bombarded by all those annoying flash ads in html5 format.

El Jeffe – June 29, 2011 02:22PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
A guy I knew in college was the product manager that came out/up with the Swiffers/Swiffits things for P&G. I think there was an original near-miss/hit where they tried it one way then settled on another product/name or something.

tomierna (Admin) – August 27, 2011 04:48AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
BIG swiffies for the Find my iPhone app, and for the San Antonio Airport Police.

I left my iPad on the plane yesterday morning, in airplane mode.

Immediately as I realized it, I called Delta and they put me through to the lost and found voicemail at SAT, and I left a message. I then put in a lock request, and a message saying "Thanks for finding my iPad, please call [my cell phone number] to return!" through the Find my iPhone app.

Nothing happened for several hours, and then about 7:30pm, I got the emails saying the iPad had been locked, the message sent, and the iPad located.

The tracking portion of the app put the location of the device in the back of a house in a residential area several miles from the airport.

I sent off another message, still cheerful, asking to contact me, but it was clear they turned the device off, or at least put it back in airplane mode, because that message was never delivered.

At 10:30pm, I called the San Antonio police, and they told me to contact the Airport police.

The gentleman who took my information sounded genuinely excited with the information.

About 1am, I got a call back from him saying that they were sending an officer out, and they needed me to talk with him to narrow down the house.

1:15am, the officer called from the neighborhood and I told him the exact house.

1:30am, the officer called and said he had recovered my device.

About 3:30am, I received another set of emails from Find my iPhone which told me that the iPad is now back at the airport!

El Jeffe – August 27, 2011 05:37AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Yeah, we've loved that about MobileMe for a long time now (iPod Touch, though). My wife at times need reassurance that it is INDEED inside our house. :)

John Willoughby – August 27, 2011 06:47AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Great news and a cool story, Tom.

El Jeffe – September 27, 2011 03:14PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I just can't believe after all the years since its introduction and my purchase, our Canon ip3000 still keeps on chugging beautifully, and on crappy generic ink to boot!
Love this thing and it was all of $35 or so when I bought it.

Cloudscout – November 11, 2011 07:58PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I got a new printer today. A Brother DCP-7065DN.

This is a great machine. It's a multi-function device... Laser Printer, Copier and Scanner.

As a printer it works great. 27ppm, automatic duplexing and it has drivers for Mac and Windows.

As a copier it works really well, too. It doesn't have to be hooked to a PC to do copies.

In fact, it never has to be hooked to a PC for anything because it has built-in Ethernet. It even supports scanning over the network on both Mac and Windows.

All for $126 shipped.

El Jeffe – November 12, 2011 12:02AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Apple. Just received this in email form; basically same as this webpage.
They will send me a new (new new?) iPod.
http://bit.ly/vY8aRb

I had one here in front of me so it was so very little work to put in the serial number and proceed.
The page results said they will send me a return box for my existing one.

I like(d) the 56 hour battery/pack iLuv i602 it was in.

Now, I must go find the other two or three 1st Generation Nanos that are around the house.

Will battery fires EVER be totally FIXED by any or everyone eventually?

Jeff Cooper – November 12, 2011 03:49AM Reply Quote
Huh. I have one of these, too. I think I've used it once in the last 18 months. I wonder what they're going to replace it with? Are they simply going to wipe the memory, replace the batteries, and send them back out? I can't imagine that they're going to send out the current generation as a replacement, and I can't imagine they have a big stock of 1G nanos, other than what this program will produce.

My 1G nano is in superb condition; I'll be annoyed if I get something that's all scratched up as a replacement.

El Jeffe – November 12, 2011 04:14AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Reading the email reply.... (those evil LAWyers!!!)

Apple may charge you a diagnostic fee, including shipping charges, of no more than one hundred ($100) dollars US, plus applicable tax, if Apple inspects your product and determines based on the inspection that the product does not require service.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2011 04:14AM by El Jeffe.

Jeff Cooper – November 12, 2011 04:55AM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
Reading the email reply.... (those evil LAWyers!!!)

Apple may charge you a diagnostic fee, including shipping charges, of no more than one hundred ($100) dollars US, plus applicable tax, if Apple inspects your product and determines based on the inspection that the product does not require service.

Wha-AAAT?! Do you only get that notice after you've submitted your serial number? Truly evil if they actually do this. All evidence is that the battery issue only affects a very small percentage of 1G nanos. If they're going to charge people whose nanos are not defective, what's the point of sending your nano in? I mean, I've had mine for five years, and it hasn't blown up yet.

Cloudscout – November 12, 2011 07:26AM Reply Quote
I entered my serial number and it says it's not eligible. Oh well.

El Jeffe – November 12, 2011 09:40AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Here is more of the email disclaimer stuff. I don't recall seeing this on the online form I submitted, to answer your question.

Apple Inc.
BEAR License Number: E78234

Apple may charge you a diagnostic fee, including shipping charges, of no more than one hundred ($100) dollars US, plus applicable tax, if Apple inspects your product and determines based on the inspection that the product does not require service. If Apple determines, while inspecting your product, that service is needed due to the failure of parts that are neither supplied by Apple nor Apple-branded, Apple may return the product to you without servicing it, and may charge you the diagnostic fee plus applicable sales tax.

You are entitled to a written estimate of the cost of repairs. The estimate must include all costs for parts and labor. Apple will not charge for work done or parts supplied in excess of the estimate unless you, the customer, approve the additional charge. This estimate of repair charges is valid for 30 days from the date of estimate. You must notify Apple if you claim a tax exemption and provide Apple with a tax exemption number at the time you receive this estimate. The cost of shipping is included in the estimate.

Apple Inc., 800-275-2273, 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA 95014

NOTICE TO CALIFORNIA CONSUMERS

1. An estimate for repairs, as required (section 9844 of the California Business and Professions Code), shall be given to the customer by the service dealer in writing. The service dealer may not charge for work done or parts supplied in excess of the estimate without the prior consent of the customer. Where provided in writing the service dealer may charge a reasonable fee for services provided in determining the nature of the malfunction in preparation of a written estimate for repair. For information, contact the Bureau of Electronic and Appliance Repair, Department of Consumer Affairs, Sacramento, CA 95814.

2. A buyer of this product in California has the right to have this product serviced and repaired during the warranty period. The warranty period will be extended for the number of whole days that the product has been out of the buyer's hands for warranty repairs. If a defect exists during the warranty period, the warranty will not expire until the defect has been fixed. The warranty period also will be extended if the warranty repairs have not been performed due to delays caused by circumstances beyond the control of the buyer, or if the warranty repairs did not remedy the defect and the buyer notifies the manufacturer or seller of the failure of the repairs within 60 days after they were completed. If, after a reasonable number of attempts, the defect has not been fixed, the buyer may return this product for a replacement or a refund subject, in either case, to deduction of a reasonable charge for usage. The time extension does not affect the protection or remedies the buyer has under other laws.

ARL (Moderator) – November 12, 2011 02:58PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Great scam that. Build a product where a small minority have a known flaw. Wait a few years then send out a mass email offering a free replacement for any that are deemed faulty and charge the overwhelming majority a "service fee" for something they likely never needed.

For added fun don't tell people whether their unit is good (and therefore fee) or bad (and therefore free)...

Fair trade commission?

Class action?

I guess they're long out of warranty so maybe Apple could get away with just advising people to stop using them...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2011 02:59PM by Tony Leggett.

Cloudscout – November 12, 2011 03:23PM Reply Quote
I think that's just boilerplate that they just neglected to filter properly for this situation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login