Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

Swiffies for...

johnny k – December 27, 2007 09:31AM Reply Quote
Let's balance out every milkshake with a swiffie. Everyone else on the internet only complains.

-

So I bitched about AT&T DSL and it's only fair that I throw them a bone when deserved. In the process of transferring service to my roommate (fairly straightforward), I asked that a 411 charge be removed from my bill because we only have the landline to get DSL, and there's not even a phone hooked up. They credited my account without a question.

btw, why do all these phone trees ask for your account number before they direct you, and then when you're talking to a person, they just ask for it again? I was transferred twice, and I had to give the number 4 times.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2007 09:46AM by johnny k.

Madaracs – December 27, 2007 09:33AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
johnny k
btw, why do all these phone trees ask for your account number before they direct you, and then when you're talking to a person, they just ask for it again? I was transferred twice, and I had to give the number 4 times.

I hate that. It happens with my credit card company too.

stan adams – December 27, 2007 09:41AM Reply Quote
True story:

Back when I got laid off from Big Blue (like seven years ago) another woman that I knew, but did not directly work with, also got laid off. She and I ended up in the same "out placement skill course" and while I'm furiously making my resume sound as generic as possible she is emphasizing her "telephony software installation & customization" background. I'm like "don't you realize that companies never fully integrate all that stuff (which is why you got laid off)" they just take the OTS stuff and customize the voice prompts...

So yeah, I totally hate those VRU systems that pretend to take your useful info, but really don't. The worst is when the f'ing PHONE COMPANY can't even send your phone number from one sub-system to another. Even sadder when they can't do that on the VERY system that they use to sell business on the value of CALLER ID... I kid you not, ATT still has that system limping along.

Madaracs – December 27, 2007 10:09AM Reply Quote
I totally agree with your sentiment, Stan. My favorite is this:

"Please enter the last four digits of your account number."

XXXX

"Please enter your entire account number"

XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX

"Thank you. An operator will be with you shortly."

*10 minutes pass*

"Hello, my name is Sergio. Can I have your account number please?"

El Jeffe – December 27, 2007 10:11AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
'progress' is maddening.

What a journey.

johnny k – December 27, 2007 11:19AM Reply Quote
Hey! Supposed to be a positive thread. I shouldn't have made that offhand remark.

Another swiffie for Hannah's Bretzel in the Loop in Chicago. Sergio's Special, an amazing ham/mango chutney/jalepeno/avacado combination, was the model for the sandwiches I made for lunch today. Sadly, I didn't have the pretzel bread.

tliet – December 27, 2007 02:47PM Reply Quote
Microsoft, for making Windows XP the most usable version of Windows to date. This morning I got sick of my HP notebook not finding anything any longer on its harddisk, so I made a backup of my home directory, booted an XP SP2 cd and within 2 hours was back in business with a cleanly installed XP. XP really is the ultimate Vista upgrade.

johnny k – January 04, 2008 07:16AM Reply Quote
Apple, for streamlining the software update process significantly. By default it silently downloads in the background, doesn't refuse to go away without a restart, and shows only as much information as new users need. It's much less obtrusive than in the past, approaching (gasp) Windows XP.

Mokers (Moderator) – January 04, 2008 07:30AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
oh, I love the new software update as well. I always thought apple did it better than Microsoft, but now it is much better. It reminds me of FireFox, which also downloads in the background, but lets you decide whether you want to upgrade right then or wait

tliet – January 18, 2008 08:47AM Reply Quote
Wow, Apple has finally done the right thing. QuickTime Player will do the full screen thing now without the PRO key.

Yeah baby!

Madaracs – January 18, 2008 08:57AM Reply Quote
Quicktime or iTunes? iTunes always did it (which always seemed silly to me since QT--which it needs to operate--did not) I suppose it only makes sense they allow it on QuickTime directly.

El Jeffe – January 18, 2008 09:41AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
they dropped the pro key requirement months ago.

What a journey.

tliet – January 18, 2008 10:08AM Reply Quote
ok, I hadn't used the QuickTime Player for quite some time, just watched the keynote in it.

El Jeffe – January 18, 2008 10:18AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I always disagreed with QT's splitting into a Pro version. This helps heal it some. But, Pro is often times not worth anything.

What a journey.

tliet – January 18, 2008 02:19PM Reply Quote
I thought it was completely ridiculous having every player in Windows doing full screen, apart from the QuickTime Player. But it seems Apple has been listening to the Slashdot crowd lately; full screen player, no more QuickTime icon in the system tray (this has been a big thing for a few years...) I still would like to see an iTunes shortcut into the QuickLaunch folder.

SoupIsGood Food – January 22, 2008 05:30AM Reply Quote
Logitech's VX Nano. The scroll-wheel is awesome in a profound way. It's a simple thing, but the simplest things are hard to do right. It's a weighted metal wheel on a free-turning bearing, super slick, that spins like a mad thing at the flick of a finger, and stops on a dime. It inches when you want it to inch its way down a window, and it flies in a way that will take your breath away when you need it to fly.

Unlike the MX or the VX, the Nano is small, light, and bereft of useless buttons and gewgaws.

The downsides? Not bluetooth, and the proprietary USB wireless adapter is stupid-small and easy to lose track of. Even though it's got a laser optical sensor, it's resolution is only 800dpi. It needs to have a driver downloaded before it will work with your Mac (or PC)... and I mean, work =at all=. The plastic on the palm piece and buttons is cheap and unpleasant. The side-to-side scroll sometimes gets stuck, and requires you to reset it by turning off the speed scroll, and then turning it back on. The scroll wheel with speed-scroll turned off sucks huge.

This seems like there is a lot of downsides. There's not. The small size, and the insanely cool scroll wheel more than make up for any multitude of evils.

Yes, I'm aware this is a frickin' =mouse= I'm gushing over. It's that great.

SoupIsGood Food

stan adams – January 22, 2008 06:07AM Reply Quote
So I guess you think it is well worth the $50+ , looks like some places may have a rebate on it... Where'd you get it?

Bruce Robertson – January 22, 2008 09:18AM Reply Quote
I was very impressed with some of the Kensington wireless mice at Macworld. One has a laser pointer. One has a small trackball instead of scroll wheel; and bluetooth. Seemed very nicely designed.

Cloudscout – February 04, 2008 06:07AM Reply Quote
Me, I want a hula-hoop.
Bissell SpotBot Pet.

This thing earned its keep last night. There were 12 adults, 6 kids and 3 dogs in my basement. The dogs peed on the carpet twice and soda was spilled on the carpet four times.

You'd think I was Billy Mays demonstrating a product on TV. By the end of the evening, several of my guests decided that they were going to go buy one of these things for themselves. It's a little expensive but the fact that I could just set the thing down on the spot, hit a button and walk away was really, really convenient during a party like that. It sucks to have to scrub carpeting manually when you have company over. This really made the spills no big deal.

El Jeffe – February 04, 2008 06:08AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
sippie cups

What a journey.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login