Spork Boards

That Darn Microsoft!

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:34PM Reply Quote
FUD, fear and loathing, cross-platform livin', sickness unto death, enterprise strategies and tactics.

Wobs – August 13, 2015 06:12AM Reply Quote
Good to know. I'll pass it on. But I'll expect the eye-rolling again!

And, oh Yeah, i know this belongs in Reciprocating Mass, but he
buys a Swamp-Rigged Jeep with a manual transmission so he can...

Wobs – August 13, 2015 09:38AM Reply Quote
Didn't know the link was to MacOS Rumors. Looks a LOT cleaner than the last time I saw it!
Couldn't see the content for all of the Banner Ads & the like.

Gawd!

El Jeffe – August 13, 2015 01:34PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
hmm. I"ll have to check updates. my win10 has been running.

Wobs – August 15, 2015 07:50AM Reply Quote
I know Jon's in idle as that company decides. And that Auto Update Installer for Win10
Default is "on." And if one computer on a Network is Updated, then it Updates ALL
Devices on that network. That was on of the "Bad" things about Win10 in that article.

ARL (Moderator) – August 17, 2015 02:49AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

Cloudscout – October 06, 2015 07:43AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
There was one thing missing from today's Microsoft event... a Photoshop bake-off. Otherwise, it was a lot like a classic MW keynote.

John Willoughby – October 06, 2015 07:59AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
I thought that the Surface laptop looked interesting, but I want to see real specs before I believe discrete graphics AND 12 hour battery life.

ddt – October 16, 2015 05:51AM Reply Quote
Just heard an NPR reporter use the phrase "the beleaguered PC industry". Ah, that adjective. Good times, good times.

ddt

John Willoughby – October 16, 2015 07:02AM Reply Quote
Microsoft is is offering $200 off a new PC if you turn in an old laptop, $300 for a MacBook or iMac. Conditions apply, of course.

johnny k – October 16, 2015 08:17AM Reply Quote
Well, when the whole PC industry hired whoever did the "Dude, you got a Dell" ads, that's beleaguered.

El Jeffe – October 16, 2015 08:23AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
never having "TV" (cable, dish, I presume), I have never ONCE seen that ad. Nor most others. Like I always read about some girl named Ellen in an Apple ad. I am clueless.
I do recall I think an encyclopedia Brittanica ad. :) I never even got to see a commercial I 'starred' in aired on TV. But did see the billboard. ;)

bahamut – October 20, 2015 01:28PM Reply Quote
Ellen is apparently doing a phd in art history. :0

Cloudscout – October 21, 2015 11:25AM Reply Quote
There are so many things that I like about Windows 10 but I still can't get over how unbelievably TERRIBLE the mail app is.

They fixed my biggest complaint by finally allowing you to turn off Conversation View, but the performance issues and glaring bugs remaining are remarkable.

Did someone send you an email with pictures in it? I hope you like viewing them within the email app because there's no way to download those pictures in order to do anything else with them... assuming you can even get those pictures to show up in the first place. Inline image attachments sometimes just refuse to load. And if you don't have a touchscreen, get used to scrolling around because the images are always shown at full resolution. The only way to scale them is by using a pinch gesture on the touchscreen.

Oh, the message list doesn't show you which messages have inline picture attachments either. That paperclip icon only appears on messages with other types of attachments.

Did you delete an email in your inbox on another computer (or via a web interface like OWA or Gmail)? You'll need to delete it again in this mail client because it doesn't sync those changes. Messages deleted outside of the mail app will remain in your inbox within the app.

Want to see the headers for an email, you know, to evaluate the legitimacy of the source or something? Too bad. It's not possible.

You also can't see the actual email address of a sender in the message list. You can only see the "Friendly" name and you know those are ALWAYS accurate. Even when viewing the message itself, you'll only see the sender's email address if you click on their name, that gives you a temporary popup with the email address. There's no way to have that appear on a printed copy of the email, though.

John Willoughby – October 24, 2015 02:28PM Reply Quote
I had upgraded both "Boot Camped" laptops to Windows 10 a couple of days before Apple supported Windows 10 in Boot Camp. It worked okay for running my games, but a lot of little things weren't working right. I finally gave up, removed my Windows partitions, recreated them, and installed Windows 10 fresh. MUCH better experience now with Boot Camp 6. I was particularly impressed that I could skip the screens for entering the product key, and in the end my machines were recognized as previously activated devices and re-activated. I doubt that my Boot Camp partitions were precisely the same size as previously, but that didn't matter. Nice.

I don't use any of the productivity apps, just play games. Wintendo.

bahamut – December 28, 2015 05:32PM Reply Quote
Goddamned that Microsoft!

A nasty little hug from Biffy to those stupid morons!

What's wrong with them? My 10 year old son got a Lego Dimensions set for Xmas and two new expansion packs (Portal and Dr. Who) over the weekend. So he tries to run it on his Xbox 360 and it says an update is needed but he can't see it. Turns out he needs a Live account to download updates. He didn't want me to sign in under my account since it would mean (he said) that we'd need to play for a while to get to the right place to activate the pack. We know better than to get him an account with his age, so now he's 20. Since he already had a local profile, I tried to follow the directions to create an account online and merge it locally, but no that didn't work no matter how closely we followed the directions on the Microsloth web site. Oh no. Didn't work at all. Had to create a new account on the xBox. Then it kept disconnecting him. Turned out we hadn't confirmed the email M$ had sent him to activate the account. Um, shouldn't it say that he needs to do that on the goddamned xBox? Then it turned out we needed to clear the system cache. Finally it worked. What morons.

I guess the whole lying about his age doesn't matter since I swore plenty during this time. Morons! Morons!

Jeff Cooper – January 01, 2016 08:15PM Reply Quote
My friend/partner's 13-year-old son got Star Wars Battlefront for Christmas and happily installed it on his Xbox One. When he attempted to launch the online component, he was denied access. He has Xbox Live. We removed all age restrictions from both his Xbox account and his EA account (even though those that were in place should not have prevented him from playing the game). Still no luck. An online search reveals that this is a common problem, with no consistent solution.

You'd think that a 13-year-old would be able to play a freaking STAR WARS game. Merry Christmas.

(Yes, he can play it solo, but his winter social life revolves largely around online gaming with his friends, and right now he can't participate.)

ARL (Moderator) – January 12, 2016 05:29PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

Cloudscout – January 12, 2016 05:42PM Reply Quote
Both of its remaining users shrugged at the inevitable end.

John Willoughby – January 12, 2016 06:46PM Reply Quote
...as did the bot nets that controlled their un-updated systems.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login