Spork Boards

That Darn Microsoft!

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:34PM Reply Quote
FUD, fear and loathing, cross-platform livin', sickness unto death, enterprise strategies and tactics.

Cloudscout – November 06, 2014 01:59PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I really hated Windows 8 when it came out. The 8.1 update improved things. Now I've been using a Dell Venue 11 Pro tablet for a while and I no longer hate Windows 8.1. It has quirks but it's really nice to have a 3-in-1 device like this. With its keyboard dock, it's like an MBA. With the Desktop dock, it's... well... a desktop. By itself it's a tablet and it has an active stylus so I can use it to take actual notes in meetings.

johnny k – April 09, 2015 08:11AM Reply Quote
Updated Parallels to Windows 8.1. Kinda dig it, for the little bit I have to use it. I didn't really have a bunch of learned behavior on Windows, so if they want to make a paradigm that's similar to my phone, great.

So the biggest thorn in my side now is photo sync between my WP8.1 and Mac. Currently, all my photos backup to OneDrive beautifully, but they don't sync. I'd love to be able to delete the bad photos of the ones I just took on my phone, and not have to go through them all again when I dump them into iPhoto. Is there any solution... um, Cloudscout?

Cloudscout – April 09, 2015 03:00PM Reply Quote
I can't think of any good solution to that. If you delete them from your phone's photo gallery, that delete action doesn't sync. If you open OneDrive on your phone and delete the photo from the Camera Roll there, it will sync the change... but it will leave the copy in your phone's local storage.

I picked up a Galaxy S5 Active today because they've blocked Windows Phones from syncing at work now. I'm thinking about just living without work email/calendar on my phone because the Android user experience is just a steaming pile of horse shit compared to Windows Phone at this point.

johnny k – April 10, 2015 12:09PM Reply Quote
You try the Windows 10 preview? Just added support for my phone. Not typically an early adopter, but curious as to whether it's stable enough for everyday use.

Cloudscout – April 10, 2015 01:04PM Reply Quote
I've been running it on a spare phone but it definitely isn't ready for prime-time.

Today's release is better in many ways (including support for many more models) but there are serious gaps in capability still. For example, you can't open Word, Excel or PowerPoint files right now... that won't be available until they release the Office preview in a few weeks. One of the best features of Windows Phone is also crippled... Cortana does not work over Bluetooth in the current preview build.

This definitely isn't something you want to install on a daily driver yet.

ARL (Moderator) – May 11, 2015 07:03PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Question for sporkers - just wondering about the pros/cons of using "Microsoft Office 365 cloud exchange" for email versus using plain old IMAP?

http://products.office.com/en-us/exchange/exchange-online

In particular, how "embrace extend extinguish" is this?

Mokers (Moderator) – May 12, 2015 03:39AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Office 365 is the number one email product that I install for customers. Love the service in terms of administration.

ARL (Moderator) – May 24, 2015 11:31PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Silly question - am I right to assume that, if my only computer is a Mac (no VM running windows, no iPhone/iPad) and I "upgrade" from Office 2011 to office365, the only thing I'm getting is the latest Outlook to rent @ A$12 a month?

Am I missing something?

El Jeffe – May 25, 2015 05:22AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I believe that to be true. But I have not done any research into that. And there have been tons of specials/discounts I've seen floating around a lot.

Mokers (Moderator) – May 25, 2015 07:22AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
You get the latest Office for $A 12 a month. so when Office 2016 comes out this year, you will be getting that free as well. I don't think Office 365 personal is a good deal, and Office 365 doesn't become a really good deal unless you have 2-3 computers in the house.

ARL (Moderator) – May 25, 2015 03:38PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Mokers
You get the latest Office for $A 12 a month. so when Office 2016 comes out this year, you will be getting that free as well. I don't think Office 365 personal is a good deal, and Office 365 doesn't become a really good deal unless you have 2-3 computers in the house.

Yup, luckily I have a windows VM and an iPad so it's worth it for me - but I was thinking its a shitty deal for someone with 1 machine who already has office 2011.

I'm still on Mavericks so I downloaded an older version of Outlook (version 15.4 if that makes sense) rather than the most up to date beta. And it shat all over my machine during the night with a hard crash. My fault I guess, but fuck you Microsoft.

El Jeffe – May 26, 2015 09:51AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Cortana for iOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXREpLEwgOY

watch out Siri.

I might bite. and load it.

ARL (Moderator) – May 26, 2015 09:48PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
While not impressed overall with Yosemite, I am impressed with the latest version of Outlook (hope I'm not jinxing it).

Just very intuitive and seems well thought out.

Cloudscout – June 09, 2015 01:40PM Reply Quote
So, are any of you going to look into porting your iOS apps to Windows via their Project Islandwood?

https://dev.windows.com/en-US/uwp-bridges/project-islandwood

porruka (Admin) – June 09, 2015 03:34PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Cloudscout
So, are any of you going to look into porting your iOS apps to Windows via their Project Islandwood?

https://dev.windows.com/en-US/uwp-bridges/project-islandwood

I commend the intent but not even on the mid-term radar here. I can't think of a compelling reason to spend preciously scarce spare time investigating beyond pure curiosity.

Cloudscout – June 09, 2015 04:05PM Reply Quote
The fact that they're going to be offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade to all Windows 7 and Windows 8.x users means there will be a very large install base shortly after its July 29th release. Whether that will translate into revenue for first-movers is a pretty big question mark, though.

porruka (Admin) – June 09, 2015 05:14PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Cloudscout
...Whether that will translate into revenue for first-movers is a pretty big question mark, though.

History and current stats suggest, "no". "Never say never," and all that, though.

johnny k – June 09, 2015 06:01PM Reply Quote
I'm considering it but because of my hardware component it might not give me that much for free. If Microsoft wants to help me port it, then we'd be talking. Wonder if they're still handing out help to any devs, or just the top apps.

John Willoughby – August 07, 2015 07:28PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I tried updating my mid-2012 MBP's Boot Camp partition from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10. The upgrade went fine, everything seemed very polished and speedy, but my wireless wasn't working. The hardware wasn't even detected. I tried installing the latest Boot Camp drivers, but the installer barfed, saying that I needed Windows 7 to install. I installed the Windows 8 broadcom drivers manually, and the Atheros and Bluetooth drivers, but nothing made that hardware re-appear. I gave it up and restored to a recent backup and I'm back to normal (except for the unanticipated loss of two hours' progress in a game made since the backup was taken).

I guess that I'll have to wait until Apple comes out with Windows 10 drivers, or somebody puts together a set. I hope that they still will support my 2012 machine...

El Jeffe – August 08, 2015 02:27AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
hmm. good to know. I just now, last 5 minutes, filled out the reserve my copy on my mac mini 2 Ghz's WIn7.
But, if it's merely the wireless, I'll be ok. I use wired. Anything else not apparently working?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login