Spork Boards

That Darn Microsoft!

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:34PM Reply Quote
FUD, fear and loathing, cross-platform livin', sickness unto death, enterprise strategies and tactics.

tomierna (Admin) – January 05, 2013 06:56AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
They also contain Zigbee circuitry, so I imagine it's going to happen.

John Willoughby – January 07, 2013 07:29AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

John Willoughby – January 11, 2013 07:53AM Reply Quote

porruka (Admin) – January 11, 2013 08:25AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Hmmm... maybe I can finally put my "every developer version of Mac OS X while Apple still sent out DVDs" collection to use.

Or not.

John Willoughby – January 13, 2013 02:16PM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – January 29, 2013 06:50PM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – January 30, 2013 12:30AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
This seemed appropriate as I checked in this morning....

ddt – January 30, 2013 04:40AM Reply Quote
Yep, I noticed that, too! (With my sharp eyes.)

You'd think that this would be a known quantity to the product and marketing managers before the thing was released, right? To be fair, no 16BG iPod has literally 16GB of free space, and so on with all computers, but this... feels different? And it's certainly a big PR hit. How did this end up being a "nobody could have foreseen" (note for historians: this is an ironic phrase used originally to point out the intentional self-delusion of neocons who insisted the U.S. invasion of Iraq would be met with candy and flowers, even as hundreds of regional experts were running around, trying to shout dire warnings) situation?

ddt

johnny k – January 30, 2013 12:38PM Reply Quote
This is the compromise you make when you have a no-compromises OS.

ARL (Moderator) – February 10, 2013 06:39PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Curse you, ie9 security settings and novice users who don't know how to modify them!!!

porruka (Admin) – July 07, 2013 07:35AM Reply Quote
Raise your hand if you even knew this was still running? http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/07/microsoft-pulls-the-plug-on-msn-tv/

El Jeffe – July 07, 2013 08:06AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
nope

Cloudscout – July 07, 2013 11:00AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!

The Web TV technology designed by Internet entrepreneur Steve Perlman was considered ahead of its time. Perlman was the first to marry the computer and television.

I know a lot of Commodore, Texas Instruments and TRS-80 users who would disagree with that.

porruka (Admin) – September 02, 2013 06:29PM Reply Quote
LOL. Who didn't see this one coming?

http://allthingsd.com/20130902/microsoft-to-buy-nokias-device-business-for-7-17-billion-euros/

Seen on Twitter:

"For the hundredth time, Microsoft executes the obvious strategy, way too late, making it worse then doing nothing."

James DeBenedetti – September 02, 2013 07:53PM Reply Quote
Oh, I don't know. It looks like Nokia lost something like $25 billion in market cap since its alliance with Microsoft was announced, so the final price is much lower than the initial price would have been.

porruka (Admin) – September 02, 2013 08:00PM Reply Quote
I'll give you that one James. Definitely cheaper now.

ddt – September 03, 2013 06:49AM Reply Quote
And as I posted elsewhere, Nokia had to eat a ton of costs post-Elop and pre-buyout (MeeGo, shedding employees, taking a loss on facilities) that probably made them a cheaper (at least less debt-laden) purchase now than even a year ago.

ddt

Cloudscout – September 03, 2013 08:02AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
They're also facing some challenges in India due to a retroactive tax burden the country is trying to saddle them with. India is a significant market for them that they can't afford to lose. Microsoft has enough clout to hopefully help pave over that issue for them.

ddt – September 03, 2013 09:10AM Reply Quote
Side note: MeeGo would have been great for developing countries.

Well, I'm not clear on which part of Nokia they bought, or whether they bought a part or the whole damn thing.

ddt

porruka (Admin) – September 03, 2013 09:14AM Reply Quote
ddt, basically, everything that deals with making handsets (including patents).

Nokia, as a company, will continue on in mapping, software, etc.

http://www.neowin.net/news/what-will-be-left-of-nokia-after-microsofts-deal-closes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login