Spork Boards

That Darn Microsoft!

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:34PM Reply Quote
FUD, fear and loathing, cross-platform livin', sickness unto death, enterprise strategies and tactics.

Jeff Cooper – October 29, 2012 05:43PM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
Ok. The MS Surface was more like the "your name on rice" stand. But to tell the truth, it was fairly swarming with people playing with their tablet thingies.
I looked at it for a couple of minutes. Kinda wide. Not bad. My eyes did not like scanning the weird variously-sized icons. They'll likely sell a couple.

The Apple store in same mall, steps away, was its regular "Don't they have fire protection code for number of people in one store" crowded.

I haven't had a chance to get to Keystone recently, but I'll have a look next time I'm there.

There have been a couple of instances in the last couple of years of larger retail spaces opening up right near the Apple Store at Keystone. I've come to the conclusion that Apple is staying in its current small space precisely because it's so crowded.

El Jeffe – October 30, 2012 12:30AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
It's dangerously crowded in that store.

John Willoughby – November 01, 2012 02:17PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Ballmer's got his finger on the pulse of the tech world.

"I don't think anybody has done a product that is the product that I see customers wanting. You can go through the products from all those guys ... and none of them has a product that you can really use. Not Apple. Not Google. Not Amazon."

ballmerhaztehcrazeeeyes.jpg

johnny k – November 01, 2012 02:32PM Reply Quote
I don't know where you got that reality distortion ray-guy, Steve, but you need to point it the other way.

peter – November 02, 2012 05:25AM Reply Quote
John and Johnny,

So OK Ballmer has over-reached here as he always does. But I think there is an interesting kernel of truth in what he says, and some widespread self-delusion with regard the Emperor's wardrobe on the part of tablet boosters and their running dogs in the media.
First off, I believe the tablet will pretty soon, supplant the notebook as the internet device of choice for a majority of users, just as the notebook downed the desktop, and I love my iPad3.
BUT
I use the iPad almost exclusively for reading ebooks and for watching YouTube videos. I have some great Apps installed, but I seldom use them. All of my work and most of my consumption of text and media is done on my MB Pro. It's just easier to interact with the machine with a touchpad and keyboard than one with only a touchscreen. The pathetic excuse for a keyboard on the iPad, in addition to being a nightmare to type on, sucks in at least 3 other ways:
- no short-cut keys (and one of my most used app is Keyboard Maestro)
- It takes up half the display
- No number or symbol keys or arrow keys on the main keyboard. Drives me crazy.
Another thing, I think I understand why Apple chose to dis-allow multi-tasking, but ultimately I think it will prove to be the wrong design decision.
The Surface is an interesting, though almost certainly fatally flawed design that, however, does address both of the above shortcomings.

I work at a uni where we just did a tablet pilot with a select group of faculty members. I saw hardly anything productive or interesting come out of it, and I lay that to shortcomings of the device as it stands.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's thoughts on this, especially specific counter-arguments from those who think I'm full of s**t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2012 05:25AM by peter.

Mokers (Moderator) – November 02, 2012 07:12AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
HI Peter,

I agree with a lot of your points. As awesome as my iPad is, it is basically an e-reader, and in-bed mail and web device. I like using my MBP for most other things. I don't think it is an issue of processing power right now. I think it is still an issue with the interface not being as where I need it to be in order for me to give up the flexibility of the laptop. As a supplementary device, it is outstanding though.

John Willoughby – November 02, 2012 07:24AM Reply Quote
I concur with all of the above, and if Ballmer said that there was an important niche left to be exploited, I'd react differently. But he's Ballmer, and went over the top as always, and by damning the iPhone, iPad, all the Android devices and all of the Kindle devices as products one can't really use he reveals himself (again) as a brainless cheerleader for his company's projects.

I do believe that the iPad isn't aimed at folks who want to do a lot of spreadsheet work, C++ development, or Photoshop work. I have difficulty imagining a device that is that wouldn't have the same form factor as a laptop. Maybe the screen is a detachable tablet, maybe the keyboard's built into the case, maybe Microsoft's got an opening here. But everything that I hear about Windows 8 on Intel makes it sound like a decent tablet interface pasted on top of a decent desktop interface with some truly jarring transitions between modes. I don't think jack-of-all-trades, master of none is ideal way to do this.

porruka (Admin) – November 15, 2012 07:36AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.

John Willoughby – November 15, 2012 11:10AM Reply Quote
Harsh. Seems kinda accurate, but harsh. The next XBox had better be a good one.

John Willoughby – January 03, 2013 12:54PM Reply Quote
It looks like they're doing it again. A lot of previously unknown posters spamming Best Buy and Staples with blindingly positive reviews of the Surface.

johnny k – January 03, 2013 03:18PM Reply Quote
Speaking of... :) I'd appreciate it very much if any of you who got and like your Twine could leave a review on Amazon for us. It'll make a material difference in our ability to keep going. In particular, the full kit could use some love to balance out the 1-star review we got because we're not open enough (I'm sure Apple products get the same reviews): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YWTPNS

Do not say "This will be great for work, school and play." Just something you use it for, or something you appreciate about it. Thanks!

Cloudscout – January 03, 2013 03:32PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Done.

johnny k – January 03, 2013 04:14PM Reply Quote
Thanks! As a warm-weather native, I'm not really clear on this - is home temperature itself something that people up there worry about? Is that the one thing you want to know, or is it a proxy for something more critical?

Cloudscout – January 03, 2013 05:48PM Reply Quote
I responded in Sporkers Helping Sporkers.

ddt – January 03, 2013 06:05PM Reply Quote
Would it be easy to use a number of Twines in different parts of the house to see where the heating was most efficient (or where there might be an air leak)?

ddt

Cloudscout – January 03, 2013 06:54PM Reply Quote
I could see something like that being useful on a temporary basis, possibly by a contractor offering a home evaluation in order to sell HVAC or insulation services. Plotting the temperature curve in various parts of the house may be a good way to talk someone into upgrading to a multi-zone system or improving their insulation. I'm not sure there would be a significant benefit for the average homeowner on an ongoing basis, though.

Cloudscout – January 03, 2013 07:00PM Reply Quote
That said, I do plan on picking up one or two more Twines with moisture sensors. One to go in this closet-like space where the water line enters my house... it's prone to water seeping in during heavy rainfall and the temperature can drop below freezing when outside temperatures fall below zero. Right now I just have to make sure I keep the door to that closet open in subzero temperatures to prevent the water line from freezing but I don't want to leave it open all the time because I would lose a lot of heat through there. A Twine box would let me ignore it until the temp drops below freezing.

I would also like to put a moisture sensor near my sump well. If the sump pump fails and the sump well starts to overflow, it would be nice to get an alert. Right now I'm using a Leak Frog but that's useless if I'm not at home to hear it.

tomierna (Admin) – January 03, 2013 08:45PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Just curious - is this R. Pettingill an actual Twine user?

I will do a review as soon as I'm behind my laptop with my amazon login.

El Jeffe – January 04, 2013 12:55AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I know my previous house thermostat purported to use two temp sensors. One against the wall to measure how cold things IN the room are/were; and one away from the wall to measure ambient air temperature. Then would 'learn' how quickly the wall (and objects) took to heat up based on the programming of target/goal ambient air temperatures. Or something like that. No clue if that was all BS (not Bill Smith) or what. But seems rational enough.

John Willoughby – January 04, 2013 07:00AM Reply Quote
I've got Nest thermostats. They work well, but I wonder how long it will be before I can add remote sensors for them. They already use my wireless network; how hard could it be?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login