Check Subscriptions

Posted by tomierna 
tomierna (Admin)Check Subscriptions – December 08, 2007 03:08PM
I'll go first. Check Subscriptions.

I want it too.

This will be a bit of time in coming though, because I will probably have to make my own Phorum Mod to do it. I'll be learning about the internals of a system I've only just installed a couple of days ago!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2007 04:16PM by tomierna.
Dr. Strangelove – Re: Check Subscriptions – December 08, 2007 07:26PM
Thanks for all the work you've done both here and at the old site.

One suggestion for check subscriptions. I think we'll probably have a lot more threads here than under webx. So auto-subscribing people to threads that they post to might be a good feature (if you don't already plan to make it work that way).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2007 07:27PM by Dr. Strangelove.
tomierna (Admin)Re: Check Subscriptions – December 08, 2007 11:35PM
Woof. This is going to be an interesting challenge.

In the meantime, I've enabled a Mod called "Recent Messages". If you look at the top right of the header, you should see a Recent Messages link, which will put you on a configurable page of messages recently posted.
tliet – Re: Check Subscriptions – December 09, 2007 02:07AM
Yes, egg. That was one thing I was trying to define and it makes WebX unique, it will automatically make you read any new messages that might have been posted.
Dr. Strangelove – Re: Check Subscriptions – December 09, 2007 03:35PM
Would it be possible to have an "Unread Messages" link instead of "Recent Messages"?
tliet – Re: Check Subscriptions – December 09, 2007 04:56PM
What made WebX really stand out was the way you only needed to click the Check Subscriptions button to read thread by thread the new messages. So, not a list of messages sorted by thread.
Simon – Re: Check Subscriptions – December 09, 2007 09:56PM
I liked that you were automatically subscribed to new threads so you never missed any.
tomierna (Admin)Re: Check Subscriptions – December 17, 2007 01:57AM
There appears to be a "Check Subscriptions" link now available in the Spork theme.

Please, folks, beat it up and see if it behaves the way you think it might.

Note, that at the moment, the easiest way to subscribe to threads is to check the "Follow Topic" button when you post to a thread.

I will probably have to write another mod in order to allow subscriptions to entire Forums, because support for that particular feature doesn't exist in Phorum.
Simon – Re: Check Subscriptions – December 17, 2007 02:32AM
Nice work Tom! Seems to be working so far, but there was only two new messages when I just checked, this one and the last one that you posted about it!

Only problem is that now I'm outside of spork central and I don't seem to have access to the check subs link anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2007 02:33AM by Simon.
tliet – Re: Check Subscriptions – December 17, 2007 03:25AM
Duh, only now I read the requirement of the Follow Topic checkbox. Pls disregard my remark in Spork.
tomierna (Admin)Re: Check Subscriptions – December 17, 2007 09:05AM
Simon,

I will eventually backport the Check Subs to the MacEdition template, but until then, look for the Check Subs button only in the Spork template.
tliet – Re: Check Subscriptions – December 17, 2007 12:48PM
Clicking on it while in the Spork boards yields also new messages around here...
tomierna (Admin)Re: Check Subscriptions – December 17, 2007 02:39PM
Yes, the link looks up any new posts for any topics you are following in any forum. The skin just defines whether or not the Check Subscriptions link is available on the pages.

Again, I'll be porting all of the Check Subs related links to the ME template once things have quieted down with it.
Simon – Re: Check Subscriptions – December 17, 2007 07:42PM
Thanks Tom. I got around it by adding a bookmark to that link in the browser toolbar so it's always available where ever I end up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login