grumblings

Posted by bahamut 
bahamut – grumblings – December 09, 2007 11:43AM
Not to complain about the snazzy look look, but... well, i'm complaining about it.

The color choice of dark green, grey, black, shiny fonts is all very cold.

The ads that assault me top, left and right make me feel ever chillier.

The Mac Professional's Resource may be good for macedition, but at the top we used to see ribaldry rumors rats.

Sure, maybe this is what the main boards need to look like, but you know I was in the subway last week before this went down and I thought to myself, I've been on spork for ten years. Will I still be on spork in forty? And I said, yeah, could be. The core group has learned to get along better and some of the outright jerks (not me! I only said some) have gone away, making it easier even if we've lost some great friends too.

But this design says to me that the spork boards are over, that we're integrated into something else. Even at Macweek, the boards were the knife boards. That set a tone. The tone here is we form the core of a new community that is business like.

I just can't imagine Soup posting his eloquent defense of alcoholism in Newport here. I just can't.

I'm not really sure what to do since this software is a b*tch and it sounds like we're not changing that, but how about a redesign of the colors and the graphics a little? Please?
tomierna (Admin)Re: grumblings – December 09, 2007 12:58PM
Baha, there are ads in the header and footer of Oldspork as well.

The ads on the sides may go; depending on how I am able to handle the requests in another section.

The good news is that each forum can have its' own template, and I think it's possible to enable template choices for users. I'll probably be making a really stripped down WebX-clone for the "Spork Boards" forum. These templates include the entire page, so the WebX-clone could well be a Spork-clone.

The bad news is that I don't anticipate re-skinning the MacEdition site itself at the moment. I was going for a Leopard-esque look, while still maintaining some of the MacEdition tones.
johnny k – Re: grumblings – December 09, 2007 02:32PM
Word to Baha. I like the idea of a separate old-school look for Spork if you can swing it.

And about the ME tones, never really was a fan of the dark teal/lemon yellow combo. More Leopard/Web2.0 gloss would be a good thing. I'm willing to chip in a bit of effort to put my money where my mouth is.
bahamut – Re: grumblings – December 09, 2007 04:34PM
Oh a separate old school one would make me happy.

I wouldn't go for a Leopard look in general. Leopard pisses off enough of the mac professionals on the board in terms of its looks that i think it would be a minor benefit, at best.
Madaracs – Re: grumblings – December 11, 2007 03:09PM
I'd prefer a solid back drop to the striped one but that's neither here nor there.

Maybe because when the pages load slower from time to time--my eyes go wonky.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.